Facts about NLB
The Norwegian Library of Talking Books and Braille (NLB) produces and lends out talking books and braille books. We have books for children as well as adults.
NLB works to ensure that everyone has equal access to literature and information. Our main task is to enable persons with print disabilities to participate in society on an equal footing with others.
NLB is a state library under the Ministry of culture. The library offers a free, nation-wide service.
NLB produces and lends out talking books and braille books. In addition to fiction and non-fiction for all age groups, we also produce and distribute textbooks in accessible formats for students at universities, university colleges and vocational schools.
NLB cooperates both nationally and internationally with other producers of accessible literature.
- NLB's book collection consists of 21 000 talking book titles and 5 500 titles in braille.
- NLB produces around 1 100 new talking books and 400 titles in braille each year.
- The library has 60 000 members.
- NLB has about 40 employees.
Key points in the strategic plan for the period 2015-2018:
- We will increase the service of talking books and braille books.
- We will further develop NLB as a digital library and ensure sustainable distribution systems
- We will continue to make NLB's service better known and increase the number of members.